Hummingbird Dental is committed to providing our littlest patients with quality preventive care right from the start. The question is, when is the right time to schedule your baby’s first dental visit?
Your Child’s First Dental Visit
According to the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, you should schedule your child’s first dental visit when the first tiny tooth comes in and no later than the first birthday. The appointment will be quick and straightforward. After greeting your little one, we will perform a dental exam and evaluate every aspect of your baby’s oral health. We will also talk to you about proper dental hygiene practices, teething, and when to schedule the next appointment. Just like adults, children need twice-a-year dental visits to maintain long-term healthy smiles.
Why Care for Your Child’s Baby Teeth?
Baby teeth will fall out anyway, so it’s not important to care for them. Right? Wrong! Maintaining healthy smiles right from the start provides benefits into adulthood. Those tiny chompers hold the space needed for the permanent teeth to come in correctly. They also help with speaking, chewing, and the healthy development of the jaws and muscles.
Losing a baby tooth prematurely can impact your child’s oral health. The neighboring teeth may shift into the gap, resulting in crooked adult teeth or a crowded mouth, meaning likely orthodontic treatment down the road. Early dental care, starting with your child’s first dental visit, is essential to keep your little one’s smile in tip-top shape.
What Are Pediatric Dentistry Services Offered by Hummingbird Dental?
We are proud to offer a range of dental services for infants, toddlers, preteens, teens, and adolescents. Here are some of our preventive and restorative treatments:
- Dental Exams: Maintaining your child’s routine dental exams allows us to evaluate your child’s oral health and address any concerns early on. That will prevent the potential need for costly and involved treatments down the road.
- Dental Cleanings: Dental cleanings are essential preventive practices that help keep tooth decay, cavities, periodontal (gum) disease, and halitosis (bad breath) at bay. We will remove any plaque or tartar deposits and will ensure your little one’s smile is squeaky clean and fresh.
- Fluoride Treatments: Fluoride strengthens your child’s tooth enamel making it more resistant to cavities, and can even reverse the early stages of tooth decay. Although fluoride is found in drinking water and some toothpaste, your child may require a higher concentration for maximum protection.
- Dental Sealants: These thin, transparent plastic coatings seal the grooves and crevices on the chewing surfaces of premolars and molars to protect against tooth decay and cavities. We usually recommend placing sealants as soon as the premolars and molars erupt to provide protection right from the start.
- Space Maintainers: A space maintainer is acustom-fitted oral device that holds the space created by a missing tooth, allowing the permanent tooth developing behind the scenes to come in correctly. It also helps prevent the surrounding teeth from shifting out of alignment.
- Dental Crowns: A crown helps repair a damaged tooth, fully restoring its function and integrity. We are proud to offer quality restorations using cutting-edge technology and materials.
Quality Pediatric Dentistry Services Near Me
Contact Hummingbird Dental in Heath, TX, to schedule your little one’s first dental visit. We look forward to working alongside you to establish healthy habits for long-term healthy smiles. Call us at 469-415-2100 to schedule your appointment today!